[Beowulf] Cluster doesn't like being moved

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 11 05:47:41 EDT 2009

2009/3/10 Steve Herborn <herborn at usna.edu>:
> I> Do you know of any issues with using the ReiserFS file system on AMD based
> systems or have any other ideas what I maybe facing?

This might be a wake up call to change your storage.
It looks like you are using Reiser for the root filesystem - in which
case it might be a pain to change the filesystem. I would still
consider it though -
source a new system disk and put it in tandem with the original disk.
Boot the system with a Knoppix CD, format and make
new ext3 filesystems on the new disk. Rsync the root filesystem, pus
/usr /var etc. filesystems across.

One other tip - if you are getting system services failing to start,
calm down and take things logically step by step.
Connect a monitor and keyboard to the system. Boot it in single user.
Look at the boot log and dmesg - there are no disk errors, right?
Test the disk by writing some junk data to /tmp  Again no errors, right?
Bring up the network interface by hand. Ping some hosts on your network.
Finally run 'init 3' in one console window, and in another have a
'tail -f /var/log/messages' running.