[Beowulf] switch selection

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Mar 5 14:38:58 EST 2009

Gerry Creager wrote:
> Joe Landman wrote:
>> Gerry Creager wrote:
>>> I recall a couple of recent arguments, so I'm wondering if someone
>>> could summarize the discussion on gigabit switches for HPC/clusters.
>>> 1.  If memory serves, NetGear wasn't a great choice?
>>> 2.  HP Procurve got some good reviews.
>>> I've been asked for an opinion by some folks building a small,
>>> dedicated cluster.  I'd told them of my misgivings on NetGear, and
>>> now I've gotta give a recommendation.
>> How large and what traffic over it?
> <= 24 nodes, with gigabit as the primary interconnect.  MPI for data
> assimilation on custom weather codes.

It would be hard to beat the Procurve 2900-24G or 2824 units for
performance.  We have had customers slot them in after other
(disastrous) switch choices.  Often times we hear "faster", "NFS doesn't
die", "PXE/bootp finally works", and other nice things like that.

They will cost you more, but we haven't seen an unhappy cluster customer
using them yet.

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics LLC,