[Beowulf] typical latencies for gigabit ethernet

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 30 03:01:55 EDT 2009

2009/6/29 Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Mark Hahn<hahn at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>
> Thanks for all the help Mark!
>

>> well, ping is not _really_ a benchmark ;)
>
> I thought so! :) Lazy person's first shot. Now I will try ethtool.

Rahul, its maybe worth making something explicitly clear.
When folks on this list talk about 'latency' they are talking about
times for sending MPI messages. The Pallas and OMB benchmarks
suggested do that.
When you use 'ping' you are measuring the trip time for IP ICMP
packages, which, yep, is a valid measurement and gives a good idea of
performance.