[Beowulf] Consumer vs. Enterprise Hard Drives in Clusters

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 23 16:08:05 EST 2009

Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Consumer vs. Enterprise Hard Drives in Clusters
> * Dramatically better vibration resistance.  >   is

Wouldn't the effect of vibrations from multiple drives depend
greatly on the mechanical properties of the bay enclosure and
the chassis itself?

Yes,but...

 For example, I have a 16 bay enclosure that's
built like a tank (I know because I dropped it once). I would
think that the vibration of one drive would barely be noticed
by others.

...stiffer and stronger might actually transmit vibration better and be worse!

Jim