[Beowulf] Consumer vs. Enterprise Hard Drives in Clusters

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 21 20:21:25 EST 2009

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 04:19:55PM -0800, Jon Forrest wrote:
>> The
>> last time I checked, the enterprise drives were ~25%
>> more expensive than the consumer drives. This difference
>> might have changed since then.
> Last time I checked, it was +$10 on a $300 drive. I bought
> the enterprise drives.

I'm looking at newegg.com right now. Here are prices
for the OEM packaging of the consumer vs. enterprise
1TB drives:

(consumer) ST31000333AS - $109.99
(enterprise) ST31000340NS - $169.99

That looks like more than a $10 difference to me.

As a wise man once said, "Why pay more?".

Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support
College of Chemistry
173 Tan Hall