[Beowulf] KVM advice

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 16 12:33:10 EST 2009

stephen mulcahy wrote:
> Hi,
> Do people here normally use KVMs for management of compute nodes or
> forego those and either have a grad student with a keyboard+monitor on a
> trolley or rely entirely on remote management cards and/or IPMI?

My problem with old fasion KVMs is that all those extra
cables really mess things up. Plus, they're expensive.

For modern clusters with pretty reliable hardware, I just
use a crash cart or equivalent. I don't need to do this
very often so it works out OK.

Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support
College of Chemistry