[Beowulf] Supermicro 2U

Lucas Sheehan lucassheehan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 11:30:24 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Nifty Tom Mitchell
<niftyompi at niftyegg.com> wrote:

> In general a landed on motherboard chip set solution can be less expensive
> than a MB+card solution.   The lack of a PCIe connector and riser can
> improve PCIe signal quality.   The IB chip set is close to the 4x connector
> which is a good thing.

Is there really that much effect from a riser or other connector?  The
physical connection, bus length and frequency in use seems to hint to
me that there would be little if any loss or degradation in the
signal.  However I've never investigated such things in depth.  Have
you or anyone else seen performance hits because of such hardware
configuration?

Cheers,

Lucas