[Beowulf] Please help to setup Beowulf

Tom Pierce thpierce at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 11:03:25 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:

> OTOH: Once I looked into Torque and found, that with "nodes=2:ppn=2" I got
> just one node with 4 slots in total of course. I don't know, whether it can
> still happen to get such a distribution.

This confused me for awhile. Torque use implies a resource manager to
monitor the resources and offer them up to a Scheduler. In Torque, if
you use Maui or Moab as the scheduler, you get far more control.  In
the above request using Maui with a parameter JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY
EXACTNODE in the maui.conf file enables nodes=2:ppn=2 to use two
separate nodes with two processes (cores)  per node.

So the combination of a policy scheduler and a resource manager have
configuration files to coordinate, but that allows for flexibility and
control in cluster job management.