[Beowulf] Please help to setup Beowulf

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Fri Feb 20 10:30:02 EST 2009

Reuti wrote:
> Am 20.02.2009 um 14:36 schrieb Prentice Bisbal:
>> Bill Broadley wrote:
>>> SGE does seem the default for
>>> many small/medium clusters these days (and is the Rocks default) but
>>> does make
>>> some things strangely hard, usually with a work around though.  In
>>> particular
>>> I find the lack of a straight forward way to handle requesting nodes and
>>> processors per node strange.
>> Me, too. Users are asking me for ppn=x functionality like Torque/PBS
>> has, and I'm finding pretty complicated to implement on SGE.
> Well, you have to setup nearly identical PEs like openmpi2, openmpi4
> with a fixed allocation rule of 2 or 4 respectively.
> OTOH: Once I looked into Torque and found, that with "nodes=2:ppn=2" I
> got just one node with 4 slots in total of course. I don't know, whether
> it can still happen to get such a distribution.
> -- Reuti

Once again, thanks for the helpful feedback. One of my users requesting
this behavior found a discussion on on this arrangement on the SGE
mailing list dating back to 2002. I plan to do some googling for details

I may have some SGE specific questions about this, which I'll post to
the SGE list if necessary.