[Beowulf] Problem with ext3 filesystem?

Geoff Jacobs gdjacobs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 22:31:32 EST 2009

Greg Lindahl wrote:

> To be specific, the ext4 people are now promising that they aren't
> going to change the on-disk format. That's very different from working
> so well that you can definitely trust your production system to it...
> which is something that will widely agreed upon after ext4 has made it
> into mainstream distros, with all the extra QA that that involves.
>
> -- greg

The limited scope of the patches as compared to ext3 means we're likely
looking at a FS which already possesses good stability and predictable
performance characteristics. You're right, however. FC11 (among others)
will be the pudding.

Much more interesting will be BtrFS. Being of similar complexity to ZFS
and from a new code base, the testing will have to be quite long and
intensive before it's truly trusted. The cycle will likely be similar to
that which ZFS went through.

--
Geoffrey D. Jacobs