[Beowulf] What's the difference between Initiiaztion and Fast Init?

Jin, Yao jinyao at ymail.com
Wed Feb 11 08:43:30 EST 2009

I am using Dell RAID controller PERC 6/E connected to a 1TB x10 array (9
disks for RAID 5, 1 disk for hotspare), it takes about 7 hour to finish
initialization operation.  There is another option 'Fast Init', it takes
only serveral minites. What's the difference between these two operation?
Just now I performed 'Fast Init' and began to install rockscluster 5.0, the
raid was partitioned as one single ext3 partition. Then the system began to
format the partition, it also took about 7 hr...

Best Regards,
Jin Yao