[Beowulf] What is the right lubricant for computer rack sliding rails?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Feb 11 20:24:00 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 05:19:11PM +0000, John Hearns wrote:

> Or use the little metal tool which comes in a bag of cage nuts. Which
> themselves have nice sharp edges ready to slice your fingers of
> course. But any big cluster demands blood sacrifice (*)

The guys I learned from use only screwdrivers, and I haven't been cut
since I started doing it their way. Both kinds of little metal tool
are worse than useless.

> I suppose Sun racks fit that bill - as they have lines of tapped holes
> rather than square sections, but since they come with US of A size
> holes it drives us right-pondiands frantic.

It's easy to buy racks in the US with round holes for 12/24 screws.
Datacenters don't seem to like them (my situation), but many HPC
clusters have them.

-- greg