[Beowulf] What is the right lubricant for computer rack sliding rails?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 11 12:19:11 EST 2009

2009/2/11  <Dan.Kidger at quadrics.com>:
> Kilian,
>
> Well you shouldn't be using your bare fingers.
> Everyone has their own preferred trick. I put a small straight blade screwdriver in the hole, and then pop in the cage nut by hand using the screwdriver as a 'shoehorn'

Or use the little metal tool which comes in a bag of cage nuts. Which
themselves have nice sharp edges ready to slice your fingers of
course. But any big cluster demands blood sacrifice (*)

One day someone will have the brains to produce a rack already fully
populated with cage nuts.

I suppose Sun racks fit that bill - as they have lines of tapped holes
rather than square sections, but since they come with US of A size
holes it drives us right-pondiands frantic.

(*) Talking of bood sacrifice, the lubricant of choice for slinding
rails in supercomputer clusters must be the grease obtained by Nasa
from rendered-down Mexican orphans. My Google skills fail me today and
I cannot locate this urban legend.