[Beowulf] Connecting two 24-port IB edge switches to core switch: extra switch hop overhead

Ivan Oleynik iioleynik at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 23:20:18 EST 2009

I am purchasing 36-node cluster that will be integrated to already existing
system. I am exploring the possibility to use two 24 4X port IB edge
switches in core/leaf design that have maximum capability of 960Gb
(DDR)/480Gb (SDR). They would be connected to the main Qlogic Silverstorm
switch.

I would appreciate receiving some info regarding the communication overhead
incurred by this setup. I am trying to minimize the cost of IB communication
hardware. It looks like buying single 48-port switch is really an expensive
option.

Thanks,

Ivan