[Beowulf] New member, upgrading our existing Beowulf cluster

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Thu Dec 3 14:54:47 EST 2009

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 10:40:12AM -0500, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>> if a single node goes down, you need to take down all the
>> nodes in the chassis before you can remove the dead node. Not very
>> practical.
> Eh? What's so hard about marking the other nodes as unusable in your
> batch system, and waiting for them to become free?
> -- greg

I didn't say it was hard - just impractical. ;)

I thought the same thing when HP told me the nodes weren't
hot-swappable. But then when I learned the SuperMicros were hot
swappable, I figured if SuperMicro can do it, why not HP?

I'm sure you'll agree that taking just one node down instead of 4 is
more convenient, and is less likely to draw the ire of your