[Beowulf] Re: cluster fails to boot with managed switch, but 5-port switch works OK

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Dec 2 14:58:27 EST 2009

David Mathog wrote:
>> What's got me and the IT guys stumped is that while the compute nodes
> boot via PXE from the head node without trouble on the NetGear, they
> barf with the SMC.  To be specific, after the initial boot with a
> minimal Linux kernel, there is a "fatal error" with "timeout waiting for
> getfile" when the compute node attempts to download the provisioning
> image from head.  However, when they were running Rocks before I
> arrived, the cluster worked fine with the SMC switch.

Wondering aloud whether or not the ethernet driver has been correctly
included in the kernel/initrd for the PXE booted image.  I've
seen/experienced this before, PXE works fine, the kernel boots, and is
missing the ethernet driver.

Usually happens with newer hardware and older kernels.

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics Inc.
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com