[Beowulf] Entry Level HPC?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Apr 30 21:59:43 EDT 2009

----- "Tim Kissane" <tim at timbury.net> wrote:

> What are the entry requirements for a job in HPC?

When we are looking for people we don't expect any HPC
experience as that's rarer than hens teeth down under
(plus we suspect we know most of the people in the state
who do research related HPC already).

What we look for is good Linux experience even if that
is building/hacking/breaking things in your spare time.
Getting involved with FLOSS projects is also good as that
can demonstrate ability and involvement (and commitment)
better than just words on a CV.

Scavenge a test system, build kernels on it, track Linus's
git repository, don't be afraid to break things on it while
learning..  How's that ?

Best of luck!
Chris