[Beowulf] Re: ECC Memory and Job Failures (Huw Lynes)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Apr 25 18:57:20 EDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Pfenniger Daniel wrote:

> Since the natural level of radiation over a lifetime correponds
> to a semi-lethal instantaneous dosis, I would think that for the
> crew working years in airplanes the cumulated radiation coming
> from cosmic rays may be significant.

It is.  The rule of thumb in the medical community is that it is roughly
equivalent to a low-dose X-ray.  IIRC one of the worst parts isn't the
radiation itself, it is secondary stuff from cosmic rays hitting the
body of the plane on the way in, creating a shower of e.g. beta
particles or other ionizing radiation.  Radiation in general causes
oxidative damage to cells, so take your antioxidants if you plan to fly.

    rgb

> 	Dan

Duke University Physics Dept, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305