[Beowulf] 1 multicore machine cluster

Glen Beane Glen.Beane at jax.org
Fri Apr 24 11:04:22 EDT 2009

On 4/24/09 9:16 AM, "Prentice Bisbal" <prentice at ias.edu> wrote:

Glen Beane wrote:
> On 4/24/09 3:03 AM, "Jonathan Aquilina" <eagles051387 at gmail.com> wrote:
>     im impressed with the different views everyone has. i dont know how
>     many of you would agree with me a multicore processor lets say a
>     quad is 4 nodes in one. could one say it like that?
> I would not.  To me a node is a physical thing.

I would disagree, slightly.  I would say that a node is a single system
image. That is, it's one one image of the operating system. The physical
boundary is a good rule of thumb, but doesn't always work.

OK,  I agree here.  I've used a SiCortex 648 where it had 6 cores per node, and a bunch of nodes mounted on blades.  Each node had its own OS image running and you could ssh to it, etc.

Glen L. Beane
Software Engineer
The Jackson Laboratory
Phone (207) 288-6153