[Beowulf] 1 multicore machine cluster

Glen Beane Glen.Beane at jax.org
Fri Apr 24 11:04:22 EDT 2009

On 4/24/09 9:16 AM, "Prentice Bisbal" <prentice at ias.edu> wrote:

Glen Beane wrote:

> On 4/24/09 3:03 AM, "Jonathan Aquilina" <eagles051387 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     im impressed with the different views everyone has. i dont know how
>     many of you would agree with me a multicore processor lets say a
>     quad is 4 nodes in one. could one say it like that?
>
> I would not.  To me a node is a physical thing.

I would disagree, slightly.  I would say that a node is a single system
image. That is, it's one one image of the operating system. The physical
boundary is a good rule of thumb, but doesn't always work.

OK,  I agree here.  I've used a SiCortex 648 where it had 6 cores per node, and a bunch of nodes mounted on blades.  Each node had its own OS image running and you could ssh to it, etc.

--
Glen L. Beane
Software Engineer