[Beowulf] Rackable / SGI

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sun Apr 19 08:31:25 EDT 2009

----- "Joe Landman" <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:

> btrfs is interesting, and it looks like it will be a very important FS
> player.  ext4 looks like it will become the ext3 of the next 5 years.

What Linus and others seem to be thinking is of a
gradual migration of:

 ext3 -> ext4 -> btrfs

There are already tools that will let you convert an
existing ext3 (and, I think, ext4) filesystem to a
snapshot within a btrfs filesystem using its COW
features to leave the original data intact.

Details and nice diagram here:

http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Conversion_from_Ext3

I don't know how that'll work with the inbuilt RAID
functionality of btrfs.

cheers,
Chris