[Beowulf] Repenting for sins against Dell (on good Friday, no less)

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sun Apr 19 03:59:18 EDT 2009

----- "stephen mulcahy" <smulcahy at atlanticlinux.ie> wrote:

> +1 on both counts.
>
> I hope some vendor(s) are reading this. Readng BIOS settings (never
> mind writing them) is a total pain at the moment. It'd be great to
> see a tool for doing this in a human-readable fashion.

Amen - it drove me nuts when we realised that the SuperMicro
BIOS upgrade for Barcelona chips had disabled ECC on all our
nodes - being able to fix that from Linux would have been great,
rather than having to do each of the 95 nodes by hand..

At least now our periodic health checks will spot ECC
disabled in case they do this again! This is the trick
we use for that:

dmidecode | grep -A7 "Physical Memory Array" | grep "Error Correction"

If that says "None" then there's no ECC goodness for you..

cheers,
Chris