[Beowulf] Beowulf Storage Node

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun Apr 12 14:07:28 EDT 2009

Matt Lawrence wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009, Залетнев Дмитрий wrote:
>> I have a motherboard with 4x SATAII-ports and without RAID. If I'll
>> connect to these ports 4 identical SATAII 250 GB 7200 rpm HDDs and
>> install Linux, is it possible to have software RAID 0 using Linux?
> Sure it is.  The only issue you may run into is that the partition
> containing /boot can't be on software RAID, grub & lilo don't know how

Not true.  We ship units with SW /boot and / all the time, running
RHEL5.x.  Grub (late model) knows how to handle this, though lilo might
not.  The issue is, for Redhat folks, you *have* to use their kernels,
which have special dmraid magic, rather than md raid magic.  The latter
works ... *much better* than the former, but you have to upgrade (read
as rip out) nash and several others to get the unit to boot other than
baseline kernels.

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics LLC,