[Beowulf] OT: Windows tex editors/processors

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Tue Apr 7 18:44:33 EDT 2009

Just in case it is useful for other folks, here is what I ended up doing:
it turned out that I needed a very specific tex package called hyperlatex to
work on a specific project.  There is hyperlatex for Windows, but I did not
find the implementation to be particularly handy.  So I fired up my
virtualization software (Sun xVM) and installed hyperlatex in an Ubuntu VM.
I shared the folder (using the special VM sharing functions) between the
Ubutnu guest where I do all my editing and processing and the Vista host
side where I manage the data using Tortoise SVN and print samples for
proofing.  Ta da!

I could have done the whole thing in the Ubuntu guest, but I really like
Tortoise SVN and access to the printers is easier from the Windows side.  If
it wasn't for hyperlatex, I would have just gone with WinEdt and MiKTeX as a
great editor and processor combination.

Geoff Galitz
Blankenheim NRW, Germany