[Beowulf] Scientific Linux

Alan Louis Scheinine alscheinine at tuffmail.us
Mon Apr 6 20:04:33 EDT 2009

 > I See that ScientificLinux has a huge community using it - at least in
 > Europe. Some big research institutes are using it (CERN for example)
etc. etc.

Sites analyzing LHC data must use Scientific Linux because the associated
applications install themselves on a specific version (or range of versions)
of Scientific Linux.  The version recommended for the applications is rather
old, what a vaguely recall is about a year out of date.  (As the applications
evolve they are tested on more recent O/S versions, but always rather behind
the current distribution, is my experience a year ago.)  Scientific Linux
is very similar to Centos, I merely want to note that the widespread use
  "And in the US, the Tier2 and Tier3 LHC participants are using
  ScientificLinux, too." is due to the need for compatibility with specific
applications, not because it was deemed the best choice.  [Not to say that
this was claimed in the previous messages.]

Alan

--

  Alan Scheinine
  200 Georgann Dr., Apt. E6