[Beowulf] Repeated Dell SC1435 crash / hang. How to get the vendor to resolve the issue when 20% of the servers fail in first year?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 16:49:08 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Prentice Bisbal <prentice at ias.edu> wrote:
> At my site, we use a locally maintained rebuild of RHEL. Whenever tech
> support from any company asks if I'm using Red Hat, I say yes, since
> it's a binary compatible rebuild. It's never been a problem. And I've
> even sent DSET reports to Dell techs. One section of the DSET report
> lists the distro and kernel version, so they could easily tell that I'm
> nut running the official RHEL Distro.

In the end I think Dell realizes that if they decided to be selective
to sell machines to people running RHEL alone they'd lose a lot of
business from folks wanting to run CentOS, CNL, or what-have-you.

The Dell-fascination with RHEL may not be purely from a stability
standpoint. There could be some revenue sharing there (I suspect).