[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 62, Issue 27

James Cuff james_cuff at harvard.edu
Sun Apr 5 20:49:57 EDT 2009

Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 22:10:18 +0100
From: Tim Cutts <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Rackable / SGI
To: "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk>
Cc: beowulf at beowulf.org

On 5 Apr 2009, at 6:32 pm, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> Tim Cutts and the Sanger Inst. aren't enough to convince senior
> management that Debian is workable, even though HP and IBM will both support it.

>> Hehe.  I'd be very worried if my reputation *were* considered big
>> enough to swing that sort of decision.  :-)

[sorry in digest mode here with some cut and paste action, I have very
small chunks of time to reply to beowulf these days]

However, not for nothing, that reputation sure as hell is big enough IMHO :)

(as a pre p.s. :  Hi Tim!!)

So anyway, just recently at the advice from some of our Sr. sysadmins,
we started out over here in the other Cambridge with this thing called
puppet, in our HPC environment...

It has a few issues at 6600+ cpu, they still have some "puppet master"
issues. However, nothing that can't be overcome.  All I know is that
it seems to "just work" (tm) for a pretty large multi site cross
campus and beyond cluster installation.  We do do what I like to call
"puppet lite", just bits of the OS and config (lsf/ssh/nagios etc)
rather than the whole shebang...

The OS is still a traditional DHCP/PXE bootstrap.

As always YMMV... and more often than not, it certainly will!

Dr. James Cuff, Director of Research Computing & Chief Technology Architect
Harvard University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences Information Technology
Room 135, The Science Center, 1 Oxford Street, Cambridge.  MA. 02138
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org