[Beowulf] Rackable / SGI

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 3 12:14:59 EDT 2009

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> There are similar questions associated with IBM.  Sun provides support
> for some major tools used in Linux these days, notably open office but
> also SGE.

Which brings up the question of whether SGE, and similar vendor supported
projects, really need to be vendor supported. There are many consortia,
foundations, and what-not these days that manage to produce and maintain
some pretty complicated software. Why couldn't this be done with SGE,
if and when Sun is bought by somebody?

I realize that the transition from vendor-supported to the new
state might not be easy but that's another issue.

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support