[Beowulf] Interesting google server design

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Thu Apr 2 10:11:07 EDT 2009

Ellis Wilson wrote:

> Also interesting is that they use Gigabyte - I haven't been entirely
> impressed with them and that is for purely desktop use.  Perhaps their
> server grade boards are better quality enough to make them worthwhile at

Google probably uses Gigabyte because they have the best
performance/cost ratio, rather than outright performance. Or just the
cheapest. When you have thousands, it's probably cheaper to add more
than spend more $$/unit for that incremental performance increase.

Or it could be because they make motherboards that convert 12 VDC to 5
VDC on the motherboard. This article was the first time I ever heard of
that, so I'm not sure if that's a unique feature of the Gigabyte boards,
or even unusual.

--
Prentice