[Beowulf] SGI and Sun: In Memoriam

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 1 11:23:51 EDT 2009

2009/4/1 Joe Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com>:
>> This is a current religious mantra within Sun, that Solaris/Sparc will
> (eventually) kill Linux and x86/x64.  Um.  No.  That game has been over for
> a while now.

I was reminded only this morning why I switched to Linux in the first place.
I saw a magazine article on Synergy http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/
and it looked good.
I downloaded a tarball to my Solaris workstation - configure, make.
cc does not produce executables...
When I was but a cub system manager, I managed SunOS machines. Sun
switched to Solaris,
and unbundled the C compiler (leaving one only for kernel patches).
Which started me looking at
Linux and the gcc compiler.