[Beowulf] Oracle buys Sun

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 20 08:31:50 EDT 2009

2009/4/20 Chris Dagdigian <dag at sonsorol.org>:
> It's official:
> http://www.sun.com/third-party/global/oracle/index.jsp

This makes me for one a little happier than an IBM takeover - we don't
need a monoculture in IT.
And going out slightly on a limb, any times I've seen IBM deals with
clusters you get IBM solutions - such as GPFS.
Where would that have left Lustre (say). OK - all vendors will
naturally only offer their solutions,
but in the case of a Sun/IBM merger one set of everythign would be
bound to have withered away,
leaving the end users with a poorer overall choice.

I guess there are now two men with black suits and ties waiting in
reception for me...