[Beowulf] One network, or two?

Matt Lawrence matt at technoronin.com
Tue Sep 23 20:48:38 EDT 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Alan Ward wrote:

> I have been reading the ongoing discussion on network usage with some
> interest, mainly because in all (admittedly very small, 4 to 8 node)
> clusters we have set up so far, we have always gone with doubling the
> network. Nowadays we mostly run a 100 MBit/s "el cheapo" FastEthernet
> for control, NFS and monitoring, while the faster Gigabit is exclusively
> for MPI. Applications are CFD, with various levels of granularity.

We are running a 1Gb network that has 10Gb connections to the head node
and fileservers as well.  We also have a 100Mb network that is seperate
for management and BMC traffic.  Since our systems have two ethernet ports
on the motherboard, the only cost was the switches and cables.  For the
price, I think it is very worthwhile.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.