[Beowulf] What services do you run on your cluster nodes?

Eric Thibodeau kyron at neuralbs.com
Mon Sep 22 14:56:28 EDT 2008

Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> The more services you run on your cluster node (gmond, sendmail, etc.)
> the less performance is available for number crunching, but at the same
> time, administration difficulty increases. For example, if you turn off
> postfix/sendmail, you'll no longer get automated e-mails from your
> system to alert you to a problem.
> My question is this: how extreme do you go in disabling non-essential
> services on your cluster nodes? Do you turn off *everything* that's not
> absolutely necessary, do you leave somethings running to make
> administration easier?
Everything is turned off and, most of the time, a quick glance at
ganglia brings out problems. Simple scripts can be built to perform
cyclic checks on the nodes and would be less disruptive IMHO.
> I'm curious to see how everyone else has their cluster(s) configured.
The only actual research I found on OS interference impacting HPC
computing is titled "A measurement and simulation methodology for
parallel computing performance studies" by Matthew Joseph Sottile. I
would be curious to know if anyone else has dipped into the subject and
come up with conclusive results on the subject.