[Beowulf] MS Cray

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Wed Sep 17 17:09:48 EDT 2008

John Hearns wrote:
> [...]
> Just let me correct you there. Surely PDP-8s were calculators or Data
> Processing whatchamacallits,
> and emphatically NOT Computer Systems.
> (A history lesson is called for here - I cannot remember the exact
> terminology which allowed PDPs to be sold to individual labs and
> departments)

Hello, John.

It's interesting to read about the history of PDP's in this context:

I'm a verteran of Version 7 Unix on the pdp11/23 and 11/34 myself, and I
had an 11/23 in my front room until I bought a PC to replace it :-)

Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK
tel +44(0)1224 712751, fax +44(0)1224 716687, http://www.rowett.ac.uk
mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk, http://bioinformatics.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt