[Beowulf] Lustre failover

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Wed Sep 10 09:02:17 EDT 2008

> With OST servers it is possible to have a load-balanced active/active
> configuration.
> Each node is the primary node for a group of OSTs, and the failover
> node for other
> Anyone done this on a production system?

we have a number of HP's Lustre (SFS) clusters, which use
dual-homed disk arrays, but in active/passive configuration.
it works reasonably well.

> Experiances? Comments?

active/active seems strange to me - it implies that the bottleneck
is the OSS (OST server), rather than the disk itself.  and a/a means
each OSS has to do more locking for the shared disk, which would seem
to make the problem worse...