[Beowulf] Monitoring crashing machines

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Tue Sep 9 07:16:28 EDT 2008

Hi,

Geoff Galitz wrote:
> You can also configure any standard (distribution shipped) syslog to log
> remotely to your head node or even a seperate logging master.  Anything that
> gets reported to the syslog facility can be reported/archived in this
> manner, you just need to dig into the documentation (e.g. man syslog, man
> syslog.conf, man 5 syslog, etc) to figure out the configuration you need.
> It is actually pretty straight-forward. Logging the I/O errors or any other
> kernel driver output should be no problem.
>
> Most standard syslog mechanisms will not let you cleanly create a hierarchy
> such as what syslog-ng will give you, but I find that simply grepping one or
> two central log files works better for me, anyways.

That's what we tried yesterday and it did not work nicely. The client
machine got an entry like
*.* @loghost
(end syslogd was restarted) and the loghost got the -r flag added to
enable listening for remote calls.

We did get a few messages, albeit not from the kernel when an error
happened. I'll have another look today, maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks!

Carsten