[Beowulf] Cases for DIY boxen

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Thu Oct 23 14:20:28 EDT 2008

Peter St. John wrote:
> On the subject of Doug's "A Case for Cases"
> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7164 , I had noticed that the Helmer thing
> ("bewwulf in an Ikea cabinet") is not really in a wood cabinet (the
> steel box can be put inside a cabinet). I'm assuming it's unreasonable
> to actually make a wood cabinet? On account of humidy, or just weight?
> To me it just sounds easy to build a wooden rack for a bunch of ATX
> motherboards. And it could look nice. Thermal and electrical insulation
> would be OK, and humidy controlled with a good paint job on the
> interior...?

Wood isn't just heavier, it's also bulkier, since it can't be made as
thin as the sheetmetal used to make cases (and still be useful). It's a
much better insulator then metal, too. Most high-end gamer cases are now
made out of aluminum to take advantage of its superior thermal
conductivity properties over steel.

--
Prentice