[Beowulf] Shanghai vs Barcelona, Shanghai vs Nehalem

Jan Heichler jan.heichler at gmx.net
Wed Oct 22 14:27:40 EDT 2008

Hallo Mikhail,

Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2008, meintest Du:

MK> In message from "Ivan Oleynik" <iioleynik at gmail.com> (Tue, 21 Oct 2008
MK> 18:15:49 -0400):
>>I have heard that AMD Shanghai will be available in Nov 2008. Does
>>someone
>>know the pricing and performance info and how is it compared with
>>Barcelona?
>>Are there some informal comparisons of Shanghai vs Nehalem?

MK> I beleive that Shanghai performance increase in comparison w/Barcelona
MK> will be practically defined only by possible higher Shanghai
MK> frequencies.

You can expect to see better performance in SPEC_CPU for Shanghai vs. Barcelona when comparing identical clockspeeds. But of course the increased clockspeed ist a big argument for Shanghai (or the same clockspeed with less energy consumption).

And Shanghai has some more features like faster memory and HT3 in some of the later revisions i hope...

Jan