[Beowulf] tools for cluster event logging?

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Tue Nov 25 13:52:34 EST 2008

Figured out that there is no "news" on any of my cluster machines, so I
usurped that facility for these messages.  (It is sort of "news",
right?).  On the clients added to /etc/syslog.conf

news.*                                          @safserver.cluster
news.*                                          -/var/log/messages

On the server added "-r" to the syslogd boot, and changed
/etc/syslog.conf from:

*.info;mail,news,authpriv.none                        -/var/log/messages

*.info;mail,news.*,authpriv.none              -/var/log/messages

Now the clients can send messages to the server with

logger -p news.warn "Shutting down on hardware error"

and it shows up that nodes messages as:

Nov 25 10:50:00 monkey01 root: Shutting down on hardware error

and in the cluster messages file as:

Nov 25 10:50:00 monkey01.cluster root: Shutting down on hardware error

Sending .emerg messages puts a message on all server terminal windows
though, which is a little annoying.  I just won't send those I guess.

Anyway, this should do the trick.

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org