[Beowulf] RRDtools graphs of temp from IPMI

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Mon Nov 10 08:44:04 EST 2008

Gerry Creager wrote:

> Now, for the flame-bait.  Bernard suggests cacti and/or ganglia to
> handle this.  Our group have heard some mutterings that ganglia is a
> "chatty" applicaiton and could cause some potential hits on or 1 Gbe
> interconnect fabric.

The noisy ganglia issue was discussed a few months ago. The issue isn't
 network traffic as much as it is operating system noise, or jitter, and
that noise becomes more of an issue as the cluster size grows.

Search the archives for "ganglia", "noise" or "jitter". You can also
google for "operating system noise" or "operating system jitter" to find
some academic papers on the topic. The links to a few were posted here
as part of the aforementioned discussion on ganglia.

The advantage of using IPMI is that it is hardware based, so there
shouldn't be any OS noise to slow down the MPI calculations.