[Beowulf] Re: ECC support on motherboards?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed May 21 11:29:17 EDT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 03:36:24PM +0100, Kozin, I (Igor) wrote:
>>
>>> b) Laptops.  I'd REALLY like a flash-driven laptop.
>>
>> Who wouldn't? But what's the typical lifespan of flash memory?
>
> Current SSDs claim >1 Mh MTBF, largely due to wear-leveling.

A Mh is, lessee, 100 years?  So one failure per hundred systems per
year?  Or if it is truly due to wear, perhaps it is zero failures per
hundred systems for 50 years, then an increasing failure rate out to
100+?

If it is wear, however, lifetimes may depend on usage, and using it as a
root fs and/or home directory may significantly shorten lifetime.

    rgb

Duke University Physics Dept, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Web: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb