[Beowulf] ECC support on motherboards?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue May 13 19:03:42 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 06:45:45PM -0400, Joe Landman wrote:

> It actually is not hard to build a system with ECC capability.  Most
> vendors, the vast majority of them, leave the bios default settings and
> assume they are "good enough".  We don't normally advise that.

The AMD servers I've been buying default to ECC off. I figure that
anyone who doesn't care enough to go through the BIOS and find things
like this deserves what they get. But then again, I'm awfully
Darwinian most days.

-- greg

p.s. Blekko is trying to hire a cluster admin guy here in the Bay
Area, contact me offlist for details. Some monster coders, too.