[Beowulf] ECC support on motherboards?

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Mon May 12 20:17:30 EDT 2008

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> However, I've been finding it increasingly difficult to figure out,
> based on manufacturers blurbs, whether or not given motherboards
> support ECC memory properly. Anyone have any tips on how to determine
> it easily?

The motherboard manual usually refers to a document that says exactly which
DIMMs were tested in which configuration and certified for compatibility with
that motherboard.  I'd check that document (I've seen it for Asus, tyan, and
supermicro) for ECC dimms.  I have occasionally seen a footnote saying that it
"worked" but there was no ecc functionality present.

It's the best source of info I'm aware of, for the most part this is only an
issue on desktop motherboard or really low end single socket motherboards.