[Beowulf] Re: Purdue Supercomputer

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Sun May 11 02:45:05 EDT 2008

>> I find that with IPMI and console redirection, it's very rarely necessary to
>> care about where your nodes are, at least from a sysadmin perspective.
>
> Speaking of IPMI, are there reasonable motherboards that incorporate
> it right into the design at this point, or is it still mostly an add
> on?

bit of both - supermicro and tyan both rely on add-in cards, but
HP (and probably some other vendors) have integrated IPMI onboard.
I keep reading stuff from Intel and AMD about managability which
sounds tantalizingly like IPMI-like managability being integrated
into the chipset.

I think the main issue is that ipmi needs a lan interface, though
I guess there are some examples of it sharing a port with the host.