[Beowulf] Confused over the term cluster

Kalpana Kanthasamy kalpana0611 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 21:26:54 EDT 2008

I am kinda confused with term cluster and now am sure if this where I can
post my question. What exactly can be defined as a cluster ?, We have a 32
node cluster in our lab. and the number 32 here is referred to 32 separate
machines ( each with its own processor ). What about the new machines
dual core processors or the quad core processors, are those considered
clusters also. For example, should we refer to a quad core processor as a
cluster of 4 processors. Hope someone out there could explain. Thanks