[Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists" still OT

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Jun 26 00:28:37 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 13:43 +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:

> It is probably worth pointing out that, as a recent
> New Scientist article mentioned, a major part for the
> rise in grain prices is due the rising demand for meat
> from around the world.
>
> This is, of course, a very inefficient conversion method
> of solar power into human food.
George Monbiot agrees with you.
http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2008/04/15/the-pleasures-of-the-flesh/
"If you care about hunger, eat less meat."

There. I've now outed myself as a Guardian reader.
(The Manchester Guardian - daily newspaper in the UK beloved of pinkos,
geography teachers and social workers.
I would make a droll comment about bearded, sandal wearing cyclists but
would get beaten about the head with a rolled up Guardian at my next LUG
meeting).