[Beowulf] Again about NUMA (numactl and taskset)

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Wed Jun 25 10:52:14 EDT 2008

Bill Broadley wrote:
> Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>> intel c++ obviously is close to visual studio. Within 0.5% to 1.5%
>> range (depending upon flags
> I believe Microsoft licensed the intel optimization technology, so the
> similarity is hardly surprising.
>> and hidden flags that you managed to get from someone). Intel C++ is
>> free for researchers such as
>> me.
> Last I checked it was fine for research in compilers, but as a tool to
> help facilitate research you have to pay, even in an academic
> environment.  Maybe I misread the license, what exactly let you to
> believe that it's "free for researchers"?

If you get paid to do your research in any way(as an employee of a
university, non-profit, govt agency, big oil, small bio-tech, graduate
student or post-doc receiving a stipend), you must pay Intel for a
license. Degree-granting academic institutions get a discount.

If you are programming for a personal project on your own accord and
aren't being compensated in any way for it, it's free.