jerk vests, flying refrigerators, etc.Re: [Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists"

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at
Tue Jun 24 13:19:20 EDT 2008

At 09:25 AM 6/24/2008, Jim Lux wrote:
>At 02:31 PM 6/20/2008, Peter St. John wrote:
>>The destructive radius of Little Boy was about total, up to about
>>one mile radius, and tapered down to light at about two miles. So
>>being in a lead-lined steel container at 2000 meters might be OK for Indiana.
>>In all action movies, blasts throw people unhurt for long
>>distances; when that much force (to impart that much momentum)
>>would kill you. That part is just conventional Hollywood. I could
>>teach RGB to kick me so that I fly through the air as in a Bruce
>>Lee movie; it's a stunt, and real kicks reallly hitting drop you
>>like a sack of potatoes, I've seen it. But not in movies. Similarly
>>bullets, they drill holes in you, if they pushed you through the
>>air the recoil would do the same to the shooter.
>>As for the scene's good taste I can't say, I haven't seen the movie yet :-)
>As someone who used to work in the business of doing this sort of
>thing (e.g. physical effects) for movies, TV shows, and commercials,
>you can assume that whatever you see on screen is specifically
>designed to "look like" what the director thinks will create the
>correct impression in the viewer. (e.g. real rain is invisible on
>film, for all intents and purposes..)
>For blasts (or kicks, etc.) flinging folks about, they use what is
>known as a "jerk vest" (for the high third derivative of position,
>not to describe the wearer) and bungee cords, springs, hydraulic
>winches, etc.  Note well that the effects tech just runs the
>gear.  A stunt person (aka human sandbag) survives the loads (and
>gives thanks to Stapp).
>To fling things about, we used a variety of things.. air power is
>popular, so is gunpowder. (look under a car that flips over for the
>piece of telephone pole used as the piston in a one-shot internal
>combustion engine.)  Speaking of refrigerators, air pressure is just
>fine for a hundred meter or so launch.

For some examples:
jerk vest test

refrigerator launch gives a lot of examples

has variety of specific effect tests.  Search for 'air mortar' for launches

Naturally, I'm particularly proud of the tornado and multicam, since
I helped make them... tornados from Swordfish (stuff done
more recently, now with digital cameras, which makes life MUCH
easier..)  Eadweard Muybridge would be proud of us.