[Beowulf] Again about NUMA (numactl and taskset)

Håkon Bugge Hakon.Bugge at scali.com
Tue Jun 24 05:57:24 EDT 2008

Hi Mark,

At 17:25 23.06.2008, Mark Hahn wrote:

>>5) In which cases is it reasonable to switch on
>>"Node memory interleaving" (in BIOS) for the
>>application which uses more memory than is presented on the node ?
>I leave it off, since numactl --interleave lets
>you get the same effect from user-space.  I'm
>not sure I've ever seen it be a win.

numactl --interleave will for sure use (at least)
page resolution performing the interleave. In my
fantasy, I imagine the hardware interleave to be
on a cache-line boundary. If that is the case,
you might see differences though, for example if
the threads/processes tend to generate cache
misses to a single page, but different lines
within that page. Probably an unlikely scenario for real applications...