[Beowulf] NVIDIA GPUs, CUDA, MD5, and "hobbyists"

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Jun 23 12:54:54 EDT 2008

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> There is value, however, if your goal is to recover (discover?) an
> MD5-hashed password through a brute-force attack. Last time I
> checked, MD5 password s are the default for most Linux distros.

The above paragraph can be misleading: while Linux distros use MD5
passwords, the Linux passwords are not simple MD5 hashes of the
password text, which means that using a GPGPU to precompute MD5 hash
tables will not help you reverse the passwords. There are already such
tables available on the 'net, search for 'rainbow table', probably
computed before any GPGPU acceleration existed and we'd all be using
something else by now if they could be used to directly get the
password text...

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8869/8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8868/8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de