[Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists"

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 20 13:55:38 EDT 2008

On Friday 20 June 2008 06:51:51 am Tim Cutts wrote:
> That'll be why we don't allow Skype, except on one network which,
> from a security perspective, is considered to be outside the
> Institute, and just as untrusted as the rest of the Internet.

I think that's a wise decision. Skype is a giant black box. Fabrice
Desclaux published a fair amount of cryptanalysis papers about Skype,
each one more frightening than the previous ([1], [2] and [3])

In 2005, an official recommendation has been issued by the French
authorities to prohibit usage of Skype in the National Center for
Scientific Research (CNRS)'s networks (see [4], and [5] for the
machine-translated version)